Coffee Assurance Services
CAS is a global assurance service provider delivering high quality, independent, innovative and credible services in the coffee sector, for 4C Verification of the 4C Code of Conduct as well as assurance, integrity and progress measurement in coffee.
The services provided by CAS contribute to the long-term sustainability of the coffee supply chain through the verification of the 4C Code of Conduct, as a means for coffee growers and their communities to improve their coffee production and livelihoods.
CAS believes that any single coffee farmer or any group of farmers (4C Units as described in the 4C Verification Regulations) is capable to comply with the 4C Code of Conduct. Some efforts or investments are expected, but the original and innovative concept of the 4C standard is one of the main pillars of the 4C system. The impact of this powerful concept and the benefits of the inclusive approach can be observed in several coffee countries.
A coffee sector that places integrity at the center of its efforts to improve the economic, social and environmental conditions of coffee production and processing.
To provide high quality, independent, credible and innovative assurance services in the coffee sector.
The 4C Verification System
The Common Code for the Coffee Community (4C) was created through a participatory, extensive, transparent and balanced consultation with coffee stakeholders worldwide, and is operationalized by CAS. The 4C verification aims to gradually raise the social, economic and environmental conditions of coffee production and processing worldwide. In order to achieve this, the 4C Code of Conduct comprises
- 27 principles across economic, social and environmental dimensions based on good agricultural and management practices as well as international conventions and recognizes guidelines accepted in the coffee sector
- 10 Unacceptable Practices which have to be excluded before applying for 4C Verification
The 4C Code of Conduct applies 3 dimensions of sustainability:
- 3 principles on coffee farming as a business
- 5 principles on the support to farmers by the Managing Entity of a 4C Unit
- 2 principles applicable to all farmers and other business partners
- 7 principles applicable to workers
- 6 principles applicable to natural resources
- 3 principles applicable to the use of agrochemicals
- 1 principle applicable to energy